tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 03 18:35:29 2001

RE: KLBC

quraq said:

> ghobe' suvwl' SoQvaD yab suvwl'
> A warrior with a closed mind is no warrior

Your grammar isn't quite right here - {ghobe'} is used only in response to a
yes/no question. Also, to say "a closed mind", the describing verb goes
after the noun it is describing. This would be {yab SoQ} - "A closed mind"

As far as the proverb goes, I'm not sure whether a Klingon would understand
the phrase "a closed mind" in the same way that English speakers understand
it. The warrior's mind isn't literally closed - the phrase really means that
he won't accept different possibilities or options.
So, instead of "a warrior with a closed mind", it might be better if you
rephrased the proverb as:
"A warrior who won't accept possibilities/options is not a warrior".

To say your proverb in Klingon, we can use the "to be" construction.  Since
a warrior is a person and can speak, we use the pronoun {ghaH} ("he/she",
used for beings capable of speech).
So, if you'll remember how we say "to be" in Klingon, we get:
{X ghaH Y'e'} "Y is an X"

We want to say "A warrior who won't accept possibilities is **not** a
warrior". To say "not", we add the suffix {-be'} to the main verb. (In "to
be" sentences, we don't have a main verb. Instead, {ghaH} is acting like a
verb in this case, so we'll add {-be'} onto it.)
So we get:
{X ghaHbe' Y'e'} "Y is not an X"

Now we have to replace X and Y with the actual things they represent:
Y -- A warrior who won't accept possibilities
X -- A warrior

The Klingon word for "warrior" is {SuvwI'}, so we can now say:
{SuvwI' ghaHbe'  ______'e'}    "_______ is not a warrior"

But how do we say "a warrior who won't accept possibilites"? I'll let you
try that by yourself, and I can check it to make sure that it's correct.
Here's a hint -- You can first figure out how to say the sentence "A warrior
won't accept possibilities." Then, if you add the verb suffix {-bogh}
("who/which/that") to the end of the verb, it means "a warrior who won't
accept possibilities."

Good luck!

- taD

Back to archive top level