tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 07 10:07:36 2001

RE: KLBC

malqa said:

> I am still a new learner
>
> jIHaDbe'
> jIHaDnIS
>
> But a friend needs these words translated and I'm not sure what to tell
> her, please help me

The comments that SarrIS made were all good. As he said, which word(s) are
the best depend on the context in which they are used.

For example, a mad scientist, cherishing a small beating heart (which he has
just brought to life), might use {tIqoywIj mach} "My precious little heart".
But if you're referring to a person, you would use the noun suffix {-wI'}
(used for beings capable of language) instead of {-wIj}.

> "my little heart"
>
> tIqwIj = my heart
>
> The noun suffix *diminutive* is Hom
>
> Hom is a type 1 suffix,  wIj is a type 4
>
> But I also saw that there is a verb for ' be small' [mach]

As SarrIS said, {mach} is used to indicate physical size. You could add it
to the phrase, and it would follow the noun:
{tIqwIj} "My heart (not capable of language)"
{tIqwIj mach} "My small heart (not capable of language)"

> She wants to use the words as an 'endearment' for a story
>
> oy referred on page 174 TKD might also be used as a noun suffix.
> [endearment]
>
> So I'm really confused as to what to tell her.
>
> tIqHomwIj or   tIqoywIj [does this even make sense?] or to use mach
> somehow

Something else you might want to look at - On page 201 of Klingon for the
Galactic Traveler, there is mention of {bang pongmey} "Beloveds' names".
These names have the endearment suffix {-oy} on them, and some of them
include body parts. So {tIqoy} could be an appropriate {bang pong}. Note
that these are generally used between couples, and so it might not be
appropriate for a parent to use for a child.

- taD

Back to archive top level