tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 02 09:49:08 2001

Re: yIQ mu'tlhegh'a' / KLBC

In message <[email protected]> Pillow writes:

> > > taSqoq  ngaSba'pu'bogh  Doch  tebmeH  HIvje'lIjDaq  HIq QaQ bal  naQ
> > > vIqangqangbe'
> > >
> > qamISmoH. jIyajchu'be'.
> > qatlh <<taSqoq ngaSba'pu'bogh Doch tebmeH>> DaghItlh?
> > nuq 'oS?
>
> I was trying to use as many of the the words I've seen here lately in one
> sentence.
> I  tried to write:
> "I'm not willing to pour (from one thing to another) an entire bottle of
> good ale into your glass in order to fill a thing which obviously has
> something (belittling his choice of beverage) in it already, but I'm not
> afraid to pour it all over you.
>
> was I even close?
>                                         Ms. Pillow

yes. what confused me, was that the {-qang} suffix applies after
the {-meH} clause, while I was trying to read it with the {-meH}
clause applied after the {-qang} suffix, so I was reading

"In order to fill, I'm unwilling to pour" instead of what you
intended: "I'm unwilling to (pour in order to fill)"

HIvje'wIj'e' DatebnISbe'. jItlhutlhmeH, bal neH vIlo'laHchu'.

'ach jIHvaD HIq DalIchchugh, SoHDaq vItlhISqu'.

As far as my cup is concerned, you don't need to fill it.
I'm perfectly capable of drinking right out of the bottle.

But if you pour liquor on me, I'll spit it right back at you.

:)

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]