tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 16 00:45:07 2001

RE: nuq DaHar or nuq boHar tlhIH

Good question. Like many good questions, this one is likely not going to be
consistently answered the same way.

First, the obvious:

If you are talking to one person, you use the singular "You" (bI- Da- ...).
If you are talking to more than one person, you use the plural {Su- bo-
...).

Writing creates special deictic environments. If you are writing to one
individual and maybe others will read it later, but they aren't the one you
are addressing, you use the singular.

If you are writing something that will be read by a group standing together,
aware of each other, simultaneously reading it, then likely you should use
second person plural.

The sticky part is when you are writing to a group, but like this list, each
member will read it separately. In essence, you are cloning a personal
message as if it were to just one, though all receive it.

I'd still consider this to be most accurately done if you used the plural
second person. I think on this list, we are quite often quite sloppy about
this and tend to use singular more often than is called for. I'm sure I do
that myself.

But since you've brought this to my attention, I will try to be more
conscious about it. It would be a particularly useful tool for a reply to an
individual sprinkled with statements intended for reading by the larger
community. I can differentiate in Klingon in a way that English leaves more
vague.

Like this is surprising?

charghwI'

Back to archive top level