tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 16 09:12:08 2001

Re: nuq DaHar or nuq boHar tlhIH

I grappled with this question recently at the qep'a'.

I wrote a story while there, and read it to the group during our designated
storytime. Prior to the reading I'd asked a Grammarian to review it, so I
could eliminate the annoyingly stupid mistakes I am prone to still make --
and in case you're wondering, the most common was forgetting the prefix {lu-}
for third person plural subject / third person singular object. I had
continued to erroneously believe that all 3rd to 3rd prefixes were null. I
suspect I won't make that mistake again.

At several points in the story I am speaking directly to the audience. I had
used the singular rather than the plural. I'd thought about it; it was a
deliberate choice. Here's my rationale for you to accept or reject as you see
fit:

When I'm telling a story, even if I'm telling it to a group of people, I'm
trying to connect on a one-to-one level. A story, or any form of art for that
matter, is an attempt to elicit an emotional response. That's a personal
thing. Could I achieve it by speaking to the audience as a group? Certainly.
But it's easier, and puts less of a demand on the story, if the focus is more
individual, if each person in the audience has the impression that he or she
is being spoken to directly.

There are exceptions of course.

When I'm speaking at a convention, I'll start by greeting the assemblage with
{SaleghneS}. In this case, I want to make it clear that I'm invoking the
entire group. But then as I go on, I'll make eye contact over and over with
individuals in the audience, establishing that feeling that I'm speaking
directly to them (for however briefly).

So, no good answer for you, really. I believe it depends on what you're
trying to do with your words.

Lawrence

Back to archive top level