tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 15 03:03:31 2001

nuq DaHar or nuq boHar tlhIH

I have a question re an area I have problems with:

When You should be You (pl) or visa versa.

When writing this email I know that it could be read by everyone on the List but It could be written as if I was asking an individual.  Should my YOU be singular or plural.

nuq DaHar SoH    or     nuq  boHar tlhIH

Maybe this email is not a good example but consider prize draw notifications e.g. Readers Digest .. They are standard letters sent to thousands but written as if they were a personal letter from the draw manager to increase their impact.

The idea I have generally used is if the meaning I desire was unchanged by saying "you all" in place of the "you" I would use the plural you and if not I'd use the singular.

nuq boHar tlhIH - What do YOU-all believe?
or
nuq DaHar SoH - What do YOU believe?

Personally I would like to know what you-all believe but I would be happy if I only get an answer from YOU (Yes you!.. That's right you the one reading this email!).

I can think of other cases where I could be talking to an individual but be referring to a group. Talking to a politician and asking, "What do you plan to do about this?"  I am talking to the person as an individual but unless raving would probably be referring to his political party.

nuq Har (clipped, as I'm not sure)

qe'San

Back to archive top level