tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 13 08:30:02 2001

RE: Gutturals (was Re: qung "pun")

ja' SuStel:
>I don't think it was a mistake, so much as a design necessity.  He carefully
>devised Klingon to be correctly pronouncable by English-native actors
>(wearing prosthetic teeth).

ja' Andrew:
>If he used THAT as a design criterion for Klingon, he ought to work for
>"machtun."

It wasn't so much a design criterion as it was an existing
constraint.  Remember that the core sounds of tlhIngan Hol are taken
from the first few minutes of ST:TMP.  There are certainly more
phonemes in the language than are found in that brief sample, but
James Doohan's invented dialogue was spoken by Mark Lenard through
those teeth, and that's a large part of why Klingon as we know it
sounds the way it does.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh (EuropeDaq qughtaHvIS)

Back to archive top level