tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 11 14:17:51 2001

Re: <telescope>wIj chu' (was KLIC)

> From: [email protected]
> Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 23:04:28 EDT

> In a message dated 3/22/2001 12:16:22 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>

>> Perhaps Maltz needs to
>> increase our knowledge of vocabulary again." (lens, mirror, reflect, ...)
>>

> All these words are on the wish lists we presented to MO at the qep'a'.
> I  told him that if he writes another book (paper, list, anything), I
> would buy  it immediately.  Meanwhile, I sincerely hope we get more words
> soon.  It does  appear that a race capable of space travel has many more
> technical terms in  it than Maltz has revealed to us.
>
> tugh wIHev 'e' vItul.
>
> peHruS (De'wI'Daj chu' je)

[Rant alert! SarrIS is in full Okrand-protection mode.]

peHruS, I would heavily recommend that if you wish to ask Okrand for more
vocabulary, you do a better job of prioritizing your request than you did
last time when you handed in about seven pages of suggested words you
wanted Okrand to provide for you. When, as one of half a dozen people
surprised by the honor of being declared matlh jupna', I was offered the
priviledge of requesting a word for Maltz to add to our vocabulary, I felt
like I was cheating to ask for a PAIR of words instead of just one, and
even then, I didn't pick my own word as much as I passed along a request
someone else came up with that I simply agreed would be useful, yet there
you were with over a hundred requested words. When I asked if any of them
should get a higher priority, you just said they were all important and you
wanted them all passed on to Okrand. Cheeky of you.

The man has a day job. What he does for us, he does mostly out of his
delightful sense of humor. If we hand him assignments like teachers handing
out homework, it is not a sign of our respect for him as a whole person who
is kind to give us the attention he already gives us.

I think we have about 2300 words to thank Okrand for already. I appreciate
whenever he adds to the vocabulary, but I don't think we should get too
disrespectful of him because one person wanted, for the first time in a
decade or so this mailing list has existed, to have the word "lens" that
Okrand should feel compelled to run out and give us the word.

I agree that "mirror" would be nice, as would "car" and a few other common
things, but we are not going to get hundreds of words added to the
vocabulary just because you want them.

[End of rant.]

Please note that messages marked KLIC have a specific format. Write
something in Klingon, then translate it into English. Don't write anything
in one language that you don't translate into the other. If you have
something to say in response to a KLIC message and don't care to use the
format (as I'm doing now), change the header so it doesn't say KLIC. People
expect a KLIC message to be something specifically for intermediate users
of the language to sink their teeth into. They can translate the Klingon,
compare their translations with the provided ones and perhaps help each
other in much the way that the BG helps out the KLBC-marked messages.

SarrIS

Back to archive top level