tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 09 08:22:05 2001

RE: KLBC: bangwI'

Techno Monkey said:

> Thank you for pointing out my errors, and I meant to say qaparHa', just
> got
> confused with persons.

Remember that when quoting someone in Klingon, you actually say the quote.
For example,

{<qabejQo'> bIjatlh}
means
You said 'I won't watch you'

So if the person said {qaparHa'}, then if you tell someone else about it,
you would say:
{<qaparHa'> jatlh ghaH}

> when I wrote: bang wa' Sovbe'meH vay': Qapla'
> I was trying to say something like: to those who do not know a loved one:
> success (i.e. good luck)

When you use the verb suffix {-meH} ("for the purpose of, in order to"), you
are saying that something is happening in order for something else to
happen. For example,
{jISuvchu'meH jIqeq} "In order for me to fight perfectly, I practice."
However, in your sentence, you are saying "Success!" for *people* and not
for an action. Therefore, you want to use the noun suffix, {-vaD}:

{bang Sovbe'bogh vay'}
"Someone/anyone who doesn't know a loved one"

{bang Sovbe'bogh vay'vaD Qapla'}
"Success for anyone who doesn't know a loved one"

If you want, you could turn this into a complete sentence by saying:
"I say <Qapla'> for anyone who doesn't know a loved one"

> Also, I have seen the word parmaq used in Hamlet a few times, and I
> wondered
> if it was related to the verb par.

The word {parmaq} was first used in an episode of Deep Space Nine, where it
meant "love, romance" with aggressive Klingon undertones. I don't think it
has been officially explained related to the verb {par}. However, I'd guess
that when the writers of Deep Space Nine wanted a word for "romance" in
Klingon, they saw in the dictionary that {parHa'} was the verb "like". So
maybe they just took the first syllable of {parHa'}, and then tacked on
another syllable.

- taD