tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 09 08:16:43 2001

RE: KLBC: Qov qeqmeH mu'tlheghmey

> quS'a'Qob said:
>
> 'ach jIDajchugh, vaj lujlaw'pu' ngong.  <HIja'> <ghobe'> ghap
> vIjatlhlaHbe' vIjangmeH.  yapbe' ngong mIwmeywIj.  vaj, mIwwIj
> vIlughmoHDI', jIngongnISqa'.
>
> [But if I test inconclusively, then the experiment has seemingly
> failed.  I can't say one way or the other.  My experiment's procedures
> are insufficient.  So, as soon as I correct my procedures, I need to
> experiment again.]

As was already pointed out, a verb with the suffix {-meH} goes before the
noun or verb that it modifies. So your second sentence here would be:
{jIjangmeH, <HIja'> <ghobe'> ghap vIjatlhlaHbe'} "In order for me to reply,
I cannot say 'yes' or 'no'."

	[...]

> teH, mI' QeD nger 'oHchugh De'Homvetlh'e'.  navDaq nger DatoblaH.
> Qulpa' Dalo'nISbe'.
>
> [That is true, if it is a mathematical theory.  You can prove it on
> paper.  You do not need a research lab.]

maj.

	[...]

> choyajHa'.  DoS qIpchu'be' qIDwIj.  QIp mu'tlheghmeylIj 'e' vIjatlhmeH
> mu'tlheghvetlh vIqonbe'.  napbe'bej mu'tlheghmeyvetlh.  tlhoS tlhIngan
> Hol mu'tlheghmey bIH QInwIj Hoch mu'tlheghmey'e'.  QInwIjDaq puS neH
> DIvI' Hol mu'tlheghmey.  'e' vIHech.
>
> [You misinterpret me.  I was not clear.  I did not write that sentence
> to say that your sentences are stupid.  They are certainly not simple.
> Almost all the sentences in my message were in Klingon.  There were only
> a few English sentences in the message.  That's what I meant.]

Since {Hech} is defined as "intend, mean to", the object of {Hech} would be
the action that you mean to do. So the last two sentences would probably be
better if they were written as:

{<QInwIjDaq puS neH DIvI' Hol mu'tlheghmey> jIjatlh 'e' vIHech. }
"I meant to say <There were only a few English sentences in the message>."

> [By the way, can a verb with a purpose clause refer to the previous
> sentence as a whole, as I did in the third sentence of my last
> paragraph?]

Since you used the pronoun {'e'} to refer to the previous sentence, it looks
okay to me. I don't see any problem with it.

- taD