tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 09 08:15:26 2001

RE: KLBC: Qov qeqmeH mu'tlheghmey

quS'a'Qob translated Qov's sentences:
> >jImughchoH:
> >
> >"It is said that tribbles can navigate perfectly."
> >chIjlaHchu' yIHmey net jatlh.

Qov replied:
> maj.

You did well translating Qov's sentences. I'll add a comment regarding your
sentence here: According to page 67 of TKD, verbs of saying (such as jatlh)
don't use the pronouns {'e'} or {net}. To follow grammar rules precisely in
{chIjlaHchu' yIHmey net jatlh}, you would want to leave out the {net}.
However, in spoken speech, I doubt anyone would notice if you left the {net}
here.

	[...]

> >"Before the experiment ended, we had seven thousand tribbles."
> >mevpa' ngong, SochSaD yIHmey DIghaj.
>
> I don't usually write multiple thousands as one word.  /loS SanID Hugh/
> from canon, and all.

In all the examples from the Number section on page 53-54 of TKD, numbers
are written as one word. For example, {wejmaH} ("thirty") rather than {wej
maH} (which would probably be closer to "three -ty"). Although Qov is
correct that the proverb from the addendum has {loS} and {SaD} separated.
I do prefer {SanID} over {SaD}, since {SanID} is used less often. For the
same reason, I personally am more likely to use {HISlaH}, rather than
{HIja'}.

- taD