tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 04 13:24:25 2000

RE: KLBC: nuq as object

XardanavaD jang ghaHbe'wI':

> {nuq}, {nuqDaq}, {'Iv}, {'ar}, {'arlogh}, {ghorgh}, {qatlh} and {chay'}
> are question words, that is, just putting one of these words into a
> sentence you are recasting it as a question.
>
> So {nuq DaSop DaneH} and {nuq Datlhutlh DaneH} are illogical because the
> main verb, {DaneH}, tells us you want something (it's an affirmation), but
> the object sentence is a question (a doubt).

I think I understand what you're saying here, and to some extent having an
affirmation and a doubt does seem illogical. However, Klingon isn't an
absolutely logical language. I don't think we have any evidence to suggest
that we *can't* change a statement into a question like Xardana has done.
Even in English, we can say "What do you want to eat?", and the same,
contrary affirmation & doubt remain.

> In my opinion, these options sound better:

As I said in another response to this question, rephrasing can often make
things more clear. All of your examples here (1-6) are fine grammatically.
Just be aware that they do have different meanings, so that you might use
them in different circumstances.

> 1- bISopmeH nuq DaneH.
> 2- bItlhutlhmeH nuq DaneH.

These examples (1-4) with -meH say that you want something so that you can
eat something. Your answer could be either food itself, or an object to use
for eating - perhaps you want a {baghneQ} (spoon) so that you can eat.

> It's a matter of preference, but I would write:
>
> 3- bISopmeH nuq DamaS.
> 4- bItlhutlhmeH nuq DamaS.

maj.

> Anyway, there are a number of suffixes we must'nt forget, but I'm not sure
> if they fit in this case:
>
> 5- nuq DaSopqang.
> 6- nuq Datlhutlhqang.

Realize that you are giving a larger range of choices when you ask these.
{bIQ vItlhutlhqangqu', 'ach Dargh vItlhutlh vIneHqu'}  I'm *willing* to
drink water, but I *want* to drink tea.

- taD

Back to archive top level