tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 06 09:57:34 2000

RE: KLBC: nuq as object

Really it\'s getting complicated!

To summarize, here you have the translations to \"What
do you want to eat?\" proposed till the moment I\'m
writing this mail:

1- nuq DaSop DaneH.
	First and obvious, but cause of this debate.

2- Soj DaneHbogh yIngu\'!
	Agrees with Klingon mood. I ilke it.

3- bISopmeH nuq DaneH.
4- bISopmeH nuq DamaS.
taD answered to these last proposals I wrote:
>These examples (...) with -meH say that you want
>something so that you can eat something. Your answer
>could be either food itself, or an object to use for
>eating - perhaps you want a {baghneQ} (spoon) so that
>you can eat.

You\'re right, it\'s always good that someone read over
your text to correct them. So here you have an
improvement for these sentences, it\'s based on a change
from the verbal prefix {bI-} (you/no object, non-object
prefixes used with transitive verbs emphasizes the
action) to {Da-} (you/it, so there\'s an object non-
clarified by sentence order but that appears with
{nuq}):
5- DaSopmeH nuq DaneH.
I translate it literally as \"What do you want to eat
it?\"

6- nuq DaSopqang.
As taD said it doesn\'t suit to the original English
sentence.

ghunchu\'wI\' \'utlh said:

>Neither group has a problem with {nuq DaSop
>DaneH} \"What do you want to eat?\" There was a minor
>bout a few years ago when we came close to seeing an
>objection, but it was quickly resolved by the fact
>that it actually is a question.

Please, can you tell me when was that discussion? I
usually read over past tlhIngan Hol mailing list
archives to learn from old debates, but I haven\'t found
this one. As I said before I don\'t agree with {nuq
DaSop DaneH} as a question, nor as grammatical,... but
I\'m a beginner, so I\'m ready to learn Klingon, good
Klingon, not \"my own version\" of Klingon.

De\'vID said:

> ghaHbe\'wI\':
>>So {nuq DaSop DaneH} and {nuq Datlhutlh DaneH} are
>>illogical because the main verb, {DaneH}, tells us
>>you want something (it\'s an affirmation), but the
>>object sentence is a question (a doubt).
>
>I seem to recall, however, that /nuqneH/ is really
>just short for /nuq >DaneH/. I could be mistaken
>though.

It seems right, I never heard this fact, but it seems
logical. Anyway perhaps that\'s clipped Klingon, because
this dialect has a tendency to drop verb preffixes in
imperatives.

--ghaHbe\'wI\'

Per crear el teu e-mail gratuit  : http://www.cataloniamail.com/

Back to archive top level