tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 04 13:23:42 2000

RE: nuq as object

muchuH ghunchu'wI':

> I think this explanation slightly confuses the arguments.
>
> Some people feel that question words can be used in the first sentence of
> "Sentence As Object" construction even if the intent is not to ask a
> question.
> From this viewpoint, {yuch Soppu' 'Iv 'e' vISov} can be interpreted as
> meaning "I know who ate the chocolate."  Nobody proposing this has ever,
> my knowledge, objected to using question words if the entire utterance
> *does* ask a question.
>
> The other point of view is that interrogative {chuvmey} should only be
> used
> for asking questions.  {qatlh bIghun 'e' vISov} is semantic nonsense when
> seen from this position, and cannot reasonably mean "I know why you
> program" even if it's restated as "Why do you program?  I know that."
>
> Neither group has a problem with {nuq DaSop DaneH} "What do you want to
> eat?"  There was a minor bout a few years ago when we came close to seeing
> an objection, but it was quickly resolved by the fact that it actually is
> question.

Since I tend to agree with the latter "question words are only for asking
questions" point of view, my understanding and explanation of the other
perspective obviously was incomplete/incorrect. DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI'
ghu'.

bIQIjchu'mo' ghunchu'wI', qatlho'neS.

- taD

Back to archive top level