tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 18 13:26:12 2000

RE: KLBC: Yearbook

jatlh TeCHNo MoNKEY:

> I am trying to put some tlhIngan Hol in my yearbook under my picture,
> however, due to legal reasons, my school wants to know what it says.
> Therefore, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could email
> [email protected] saying that the following is what I say it is (or tell
> me how it is wrong so I can fix it).

If I or someone else were to email the school, what name should we use to
refer to you? (TeCHNo MoNKEY, or do you have another preference?)
Back when I graduated from high school, I didn't need anyone's approval to
have something in Klingon printed under my yearbook picture. Boy, times have
changed in 4 years, haven't they? :-P

> qatlho'
> TeCHNo MoNKEY
>
> tlhIngan Hol:
> Do' SuyIntaH ej maQumchuqtaH vIneH.

Don't forget to put the {'} at the beginning of {'ej}. Also, {Qum} is
defined as "communicate", and not as "communicate with". So {maQumchuqtaH}
would be something like "We communicate each other". It should be ok if you
were to use {maQumtaH} ("We communicate").

> Satlho'law'be' 'ach Satlho'qang.

maj.

> Suquv'eghmoHtaHjaj.

In TKD, on page 176, it says that a type-7 verb suffix is never used with
the verb suffix {-jaj}. So according to TKD, you should not use {-taH} here,
and should say {Suquv'eghmoHjaj} ("May you (all) honor yourselves").
*However*, in KGT, on page 25-26, there's an example that disregards this
rule:

{wo' DevtaHjaj ghawran} "May Gowron continue to lead the empire"

So, if you do decide to say {Suquv'eghmoHtaHjaj}, then just be aware that
you are following an example from KGT, but breaking the rule from TKD.

> English (approximate):
> I hope that you all live with luck and that we continue to communicate
> with each other.  I do not apparently thank you (all) but I am willing to
> (thank you (all)).  May you (all) honour yourselves (continuously).

- taD

Back to archive top level