tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 16 19:10:56 2000

Re: nonliteral translation

ja' peHruS:
>I translate {be' luqIpmeH puqpu', naQmey lo' [chaH].} as "The children
>hit the woman WITH sticks

jang lay'tel SIvten:
>the english sentence with "with" can also mean that the children are
>hitting her by THROWING the sticks at her.  or the children are hitting
>the woman who HAS sticks.  and there are probably other meanings that
>elude me at the moment.

be' luqIp puqpu' naQmey je!  Just kidding.  On a more serious (i.e., on-
topic) note, I tend to agree with peHruS when he says that the best
English translation of a Klingon sentence may seem nothing like the
Klingon, and vice versa.  Context will often clarify what "The children
hit the woman with sticks" means.  For example, consider:
    The children picked up some sticks.  The children hit the woman
    with the sticks.
Obviously, the children are the ones with the sticks here, not the
woman.  A different example:
    The children felt like hitting someone.  They saw two women.  One
    was carrying sticks, the other stones.  The children hit the woman
    with sticks.
You see my point.

                                        DujHoD

Back to archive top level