tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 15 17:32:11 2000

nonliteral translation

jatlh peHruS:
> If I translate {be' luqIpmeH puqpu', naQmey lo' [chaH].} as "The children
hit
>  the woman WITH sticks, we immediately observe that the word "with" is
> nowhere >  in the Klingon rendition.  Still, to translate the English
concept "with,"
> the Klingon sentence is perfect.

the english sentence with "with" can also mean that the children
are hitting her by THROWING the sticks at her.  or the children
are hitting the woman who HAS sticks.  and there are probably
other meanings that elude me at the moment.
lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level