tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 15 13:07:49 2000

RE: Grammar Highlight Each Day (bo-)

Holtej:
> << BTW, out of curiosity, why are you conjugating the verbs, as in (Sov =
>  knows)?  Why not present them in a way that's consistent with how TKD
>  presents them, for consistency and clarity?
>   >>

peHruS:
> This is an easy way to tell verbs from nouns without specifying said
> terminology, which, of course, is longer.

I do know that some people who are not trained in linguistics find
infinitives confusing, for what it's worth.  Personally in my own
notes I find it helpful to explicitly state the subject-verb-object,
e.g. {luSov} "they know it", {Sov} "he/she/it knows him/her/it/them",
{Sov} "they know them".

> yaS boSov = You (pl) know the officer. (yaS = officer; Sov = knows)

I would have written:
{yaS} "officer"
{boSov} "you (pl) know him/her".

Then there is no confusion that {[bo]Sov} is a verb.  To each his
own, of course.  Others may find my style confusing.

peHruS:
[...]
> Soon the Grammar Highlight will present a chart of the
> verb pronominal suffixes.  The first chart will be incomplete,
> showing only third-person objects.  Eventually, a chart of all the
> prefixes will appear.

How will you organize it?  I find it helpful to put the chart in
person-number form, i.e. I, we, you, you (p), he/she/it, they;
in this order, along both the subject and object axis.  I find
the TKD chart to be an utter mess.  Again, others may have
different preferences.

--
De'vID