tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 15 18:12:41 2000

Re: Qutlh (RE: Weighing in on Du')

In a message dated 11/15/2000 3:06:36 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< Since no one has suggested an alternative to {'uS} (unless I
 missed it), I will.  Why not use {raS QutlhwI'mey} "table
 supporters" and avoid the whole business of "body part"izing
 an non-body part.

 {Qutlh} was pulled from the new words list:
 /tlh/newwords.html

 Qutlh
      (v) support [BoP Poster]

 Would someone with the BoP Poster please confirm that this does
 indeed mean "support (v)" in the sense of one structure withstanding
 the weight/pressure put on it by another structure, like I think it
 does? >>

I cannot prove {Qutlh} means support this way.  I cannot prove it does not.
But, as evidence that you are right, we also have the word {rach} for
"support" in another way.  My guess is that {Qutlh} indeed means physical
support.

The problem I have with {raS QutlhwI'mey} is its unwieldiness.  For a long
time before we had the word {raS} some of us tried {SopmeH Daq}.  While it
worked, I for one really felt there must be a better way.

I just read a post saying we hope to get answers in the next HolQeD (or a
HolQeD soon, at least).  I hope so.

peHruS

Back to archive top level