tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 14 10:00:47 2000

Re: Grammar Highlight Each Day (bo-)

jatlh peHruS:

> > yaS boSov = You (pl) know the officer. (yaS = officer; Sov = knows)

jang Holtej, jatlh:
> Or, of course, "You (pl) know the officers."
>
> BTW, out of curiosity, why are you conjugating the verbs, as in (Sov =
> knows)?  Why not present them in a way that's consistent with how TKD
> presents them, for consistency and clarity?

I actually like this. It helps prevent people from thinking they
can use un-prefixed verb forms like they can use infinitives in English.

> > Suy botlhej'a'? = Do you (pl) go with the merchant?
> > (Suy = merchant; tlhej = accompanies; -'a' = question particle)
>
> Particle?  According to TKD, this is a suffix.

I saw this one coming... but I agree, this might be confusing.

> I am afraid that introducing
> non-standard terminology,
[snip]
> might be a source of confusion.