tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 19 19:23:11 2000

Re: Grammar Highlight Each Day (bo-)

ja'pu' Holtej:
> BTW, out of curiosity, why are you conjugating the verbs, as in (Sov =
> knows)?  Why not present them in a way that's consistent with how TKD
> presents them, for consistency and clarity?

ja' HomDoq:
> I actually like this. It helps prevent people from thinking they
> can use un-prefixed verb forms like they can use infinitives in English.

How does it do that?  I don't understand what you mean.

The biggest problem I have with such a presentation is that it completely
ignores any distinction between an unprefixed verb and a verb with a null
prefix.  That distinction does occasionally become important, such as when
appending a type 9 suffix like {-wI'} or {-ghach} or even {-meH}.  It also
puts extreme focus on the *least* common form of the verb when translated
into English.  Even limiting the discussion to present tense, "knows"
occurs only with a singular third person subject.  The TKD-compliant "know"
is found when translating every other combination of number and person.

Back to archive top level