tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 15 11:32:06 2000

Re: translation comments

> >otherwise, what does the qualifier "while orbiting the sun"
> >mean? there are no instances of earth *not* orbiting the sun.

jatlh DloraH:
> I specified "while orbiting" to try to convey "relative to"; because
> coordinates used to convey the earths position in the whole grand universe
> may not have to do with being relative to our sun.

I understand that; but still I think it's useless as a qualifier
because it is always true.

> We don't have "relative to", so I tried "while orbiting".

doesn't work for me.

> >which is why I don't like the Klingon expression AT ALL.
> >(and still I'm waiting for someone to tell me that clauses
> >other than -bogh and -meH can modify nouns!)
>
> They're all type 9 suffixes.

so what? are you suggesting

jIboghDI' jaj = the day when I was born????
jIlengtaHvIS DIS = the year while I was traveling????
bIghoSpa' jaj = the day before you came????

-'a' and -wI' are type nine suffixes too, you're not suggesting
I could use a sentence with a -'a' on the verb to modify a noun,
are you? what about -chugh and -mo', then?

I know that relative clauses and purpose clauses can modify
nouns. TKD says so. TKD doesn't suggest the use of temporal
subordinate clauses to modify nouns. Can you point me to some
canon source/example, please?

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]