tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 15 11:40:30 2000

Re: translation comments

jatlh Marc Paige:
> I understand your confusion. The phrase presumes a connotation. I see a
> picture of the Earth's orbit around the sun in my head when I read this. If
> instead, the Klingon had been:
>
> qIb botlh bavtaHvIS tera' Quv'e'
>
> then I would have a picture of the Milky Way and an arrow pointing to an
> outer region of one of the sprial arms.

maybe I'm too much of a physicist here, but at any time the
earth orbits the sun, as well as the center of the Milky Way.

therefore both "while it orbits the sun" and "while it orbits
the center of the Milky Way" just are true all the time and
don't give any information.

toH!

jIjatlh:
> >SuSvaj, bIqImtaH'a'? qoS DaqelchoH 'e' Dapaybej :)
> >qoSlIj veb DatIvchu' 'e' vItul! tugh qoSlIj vebHa' DalIjjaj!
> >tlhIngan SoH, qar'a'?
>
> DaH, jImIS jIH! <vebHa'> vIyajbe'. "Soon, you may forget your un-next
> birthday"???

well, "un-next" was the closest I could come up with to "previous"...

"May you soon forget your previous birthday."
tugh DaHjaj nungbogh qoSlIj'e' DalIjjaj.

...if {nung} can be used in the intended sense...

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]

Back to archive top level