tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 14 19:10:36 2000

Re: KLBC: Hoch DaHjaj mu'mey vIwaH.

Steven Boozer wrote:

> tuv'el wrote:
>
> : reH QoQ tlheghHomvetlhDaq 'egh vIreHHa'.
> : "I always misplay the 'egh in that passage of music."
>
> Since it appears that tuv'el doesn't have a copy of KGT,

Not true!

> a quick vocabulary
> note is in order here.  {reH} is the wrong word to use.  The single English
> word "play" corresponds to at least three different words in Klingon:

>   {reH}   "play (in general)" [i.e. "The children are playing outside."]
>   {Quj}   "play (a game)
>   {chu'}  "play (a musical instrument)"

Thanks for pointing this out.  I don't always remember that there are words for
such things.  Like when I was trying to translate the word 'clock' one time, and
got reamed for coming up with /poHwI'/.  Well, 'chronometer' didn't come to mind,
and I had looked under 'watch', 'clock', etc.  This time, I was working from the
word of the day, and didn't remember the other possibilities.  If I had looked up
'play' in my computer dictionary, I would have noticed /chu'/.  I'm not headed to
Qo'noS any time soon, so it's still relatively safe for me to blunder this way.

- tuv'el

Back to archive top level