tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 29 16:20:46 2000

Re: KLBC: Hoch DaHjaj mu'mey vIwaH.

tuv'el wrote:
> reH QoQ tlheghHomvetlhDaq 'egh vIreHHa'.
> "I always misplay the 'egh in that passage of music."

ja' Voragh:
>Since it appears that tuv'el doesn't have a copy of KGT, a quick vocabulary
>note is in order here.  {reH} is the wrong word to use.  The single English
>word "play" corresponds to at least three different words in Klingon:
>
>  {reH}   "play (in general)" [i.e. "The children are playing outside."]
>  {Quj}   "play (a game)
>  {chu'}  "play (a musical instrument)"

None of these is the one tuv'el intended.   He wants something that
means "play (a note)" or perhaps "play (a tune)".  I think the word
most appropriate here is {much}.

>According to Soqra'tIS who attended, at {qep'a' loSDIch} Krankor asked Marc
>Okrand "if he was right in using {reH} for playing his guitar (which he did
>regularly--both playing the guitar and referring to it using {reH}, that is).
>He said he hoped it was right because if it wasn't he had nothing else. MO
>replied that {reH} did not mean play in the sense of playing a musical
>instrument... He didn't volunteer a better word though."  Now from KGT (p.74)
>we know that that word is {chu'}.

While true, the tone {'egh} of the Klingon nonatonic scale is not a
musical instrument, and {chu'} is likely not the right verb for it.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level