tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 13 17:50:39 2000

a rather bizarre riddle

For the e-mails sent using my personal e-mail address, I have
a signature line.  Recently, I've changed it to a line from
Hamlet, in the original Klingon of course:

> chalDaq, ghorDaq je law'bej Doch, Horey'So.
> 'ej puSqu' Dochmey'e' neH najbogh QeDlIj.
>                                         -- Hamlet, Hamlet I.v

I usually don't get a response to my sig, but in corresponding
with an acquiantance, she asked me what it meant and offered
what she believed to be its translation:

> Kaldiack, Fordiak he lay will be I Duke, Horatio.
> "I peuwsk you" Duke ..... (Am I close?)may ye any neighbour coue does I."

Naturally, I asked her how she arrived at this translation, but
she didn't respond to this question and since we're not that close,
I didn't press the issue.  But, I am dying of curiosity to know
what language she thought it was and how she attempted to translate
it.

There *seems* to be some kind of logic behind it.  All I've been
able to figure out is that /Doch/ seems to be "Duke",
and /ej/ seems to be "I".  Some kind of code?

Can anyone see what she was thinking of?  Sorry if the above
isn't enough, that's all I have to go on.

--
De'vID

Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
The official site of the Star Trek universe

Back to archive top level