tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 29 15:03:27 2000

Re: obtuse question

> jatlh SuStel:
> > I don't have my TKD with me, but isn't it illegal to use a
> > Type 7 verb suffix with /-jaj/?

jatlh pagh:
> HIja'. Hatbej 'e' maq tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom. 'ach chutvam bIvpu' Okrand:
<wo'
> DevtaHjaj ghawran> (Hal vIqawbe').

TKD p. 9: "It should be remembered that even though the rules say 'always'
and 'never,' when Klingon is actually spoken these rules are sometimes
broken.  What the rules represent, in other words, is what Klingon
grammarians agree on as the 'best' Klingon."

Just because Okrand has broken a rule doesn't mean the rule is broken, or
we're given leave to break it as we please.  It means either that (a) Okrand
erred, or that (b) he has broken the rules in a manner deemed appropriate by
Klingons.  The chances of it meaning (c) that the rule is to be ignored in
general is small indeed!

SuStel
Stardate 495.3

Back to archive top level