tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 29 15:10:59 2000

RE: KLBC: -law'

jatlh De'vID:

> I know that there is a bit of controversy as to how far
> /-be'/ applies in a sentence.  I think there are several
> canon examples of /-be'/ being applied to something far
> away from what it's immediately attached to.  But what
> about other verb suffixes?  I was having a little trouble
> with /-law'/.

> For example,
> /qatlh 'oH Dapar/ "Why do you dislike it?"

> Now, if I add a /-law'/,
> /qatlh 'oH Daparlaw'/

> Does this mean

> "Why do you {sort of dislike it}?" i.e.
> "You've seem to be uncertain whether you dislike it,
> but why do you?"

> or

> "Why does it appear that {you dislike it}?" i.e.
> "*I'm* not certain that you dislike it, but why do you
> if you do?"

I'm not certain there's much of a difference between these two.

> What I'm trying to get at is, does the uncertainty indicated
> by /-law'/ apply to the speaker, or the person being spoken to?

<-law'> indicates uncertainty, but exactly *who* is uncertain is generally
pretty flexible. Often you really don't have to pin it down. If I say
<jorpa' qach, Dejlaw' beb>, most likely *everyone* is uncertain about
exactly what happened. On the other hand, if I say <Doqlaw'.>, and someone
answers <ghobe'. SuD.>, then I'm clearly the only one who is uncertain. It
depends on the situation, but most of the time it's probably just general
uncertainty.

One canon example of <-law'> from a Skybox card is: <puvlaHbogh Duj
ngabmoHlaw' So'wI'>. In this case, the speaker (i.e. Klingon Science Guy who
writes captions for trading cards) is obviously not specifically qualifying
the statement from his perspective.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level