tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 28 23:32:41 2000

KLBC: -law'

I know that there is a bit of controversy as to how far /-be'/
applies in a sentence.  I think there are several canon
examples of /-be'/ being applied to something far away from
what it's immediately attached to.  But what about other
verb suffixes?  I was having a little trouble with /-law'/.

For example,
/qatlh 'oH Dapar/ "Why do you dislike it?"

Now, if I add a /-law'/,
/qatlh 'oH Daparlaw'/

Does this mean

"Why do you {sort of dislike it}?" i.e.
"You've seem to be uncertain whether you dislike it,
but why do you?"

or

"Why does it appear that {you dislike it}?" i.e.
"*I'm* not certain that you dislike it, but why do you if you do?"

What I'm trying to get at is, does the uncertainty indicated by
/-law'/ apply to the speaker, or the person being spoken to?

--
De'vID