tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 29 01:06:55 2000

Re: obtuse question

jatlh De'vID
>Would there be a difference in terms of the "feel" of /muSawHa'ta'wI'/
>and /vInayHa'ta'wI'/?  The first sounds to me like the divorce was on
>the husband's terms, and the second sounds like it was the wife who
>divorced the husband.  Is there something more neutral, that could
>indicate that the divorce was on amicable terms (very un-Klingon-like),
>or that both parties equally agreed to it?

I read this and the thought occurred to me that there would be no divorce in
a tlhIngan marriage.  What are common grounds for divorce?  Affairs, abuse,
money problems, etc.  It seems to me that a spouse would kill the other
spouse and their partner in a case of an affair, Abuse would be handled in
honorable combat.. In fact, perhaps the tlhIngan institute of marriage is so
sacred that it can only be broken by death.  Perhaps a divorce ceremony where
the spouses fight to the death, the survivor takes all.

But while we're on the topic of past marriages, what is a widows husband
called?  Or even the widow herself?

-veS joH

Back to archive top level