tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 28 11:22:20 2000

Re: obtuse question

jatlh ghunchu'wI':
> > I thought of {ben loDnal} too.  I don't think it does a good enough job
of
> > implying the "ex" idea, though, which is why I didn't suggest it.

jatlh voragh:
> Agreed; this could simply refer to a husband one married in the past,
which may
> or may not be the one you're currently married to.

Unless there's context to the contrary, I think the natural implication
would be that the husband is no longer a husband.  That's how I would see
it, anyway.

> Also keep in mind that Okrand has *never* used {ben} without a number.
Usages
> like *{ben law'} or *{ben 'ar?} are relatively common on the mailing list,
but
> AFAIK Okrand has never used anything like them, however nice they sound to
us.

I don't know if Okrand's lack of numberless /ben/s is indicative of
something or not.  If you're worried about it, you can of course specify how
long ago it was.

cha' ben loDnal
husband of two years ago

jIjatlh:
> : Sometimes an "Ex" is referred to as someone whom you are no longer
married
> : to, but on friendly terms with. In this case /ben loDnal/ and /ben
be'nal/

> Hmm... do Klingons get divorced on friendly terms?  It's hard to imagine.

It probably depends on the circumstances.  We've seen several different
ceremonies and customs regarding Klingon marriage, and the one I think we
can all agree on is that it's highly variable.  In one case, didn't Grilka
divorce Quark, and then act all cozy with him?  (If "cozy" is the right word
for it . . . !)  Sure, it was all due to ceremony and tradition, but what's
the difference?  And sure, Quark's not a Klingon, but would that necessarily
make a difference regarding the custom?

Generally, I could see the overall Klingon mindset discarding the idea of
divorce for anything but ritualistic reasons.  You don't like your mate?
Too bad; live with it!  If this is the case, most divorces probably WOULD be
on amicable terms!

SuStel
Stardate 492.2

Back to archive top level