tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 28 10:35:08 2000

Re: obtuse question

ghunchu'wI':
> I thought of {ben loDnal} too.  I don't think it does a good enough job of
> implying the "ex" idea, though, which is why I didn't suggest it.

Agreed; this could simply refer to a husband one married in the past, which may
or may not be the one you're currently married to.

Also keep in mind that Okrand has *never* used {ben} without a number.  Usages
like *{ben law'} or *{ben 'ar?} are relatively common on the mailing list, but
AFAIK Okrand has never used anything like them, however nice they sound to us.

SuStel:
: Sometimes when someone refers to their "Ex," they do so in a contemptuous
: manner. In such a case, /ben loDnal/ and /ben be'nal/ wouldn't be enough.

Well, if the woman hasn't remarried, {loDnalqoq} would certainly be understood
by her friends as referring to the "ex".  And if you want contempt, there's
always {petaQvetlh} "that *p'tahk*".  Context is everything.

: Sometimes an "Ex" is referred to as someone whom you are no longer married
: to, but on friendly terms with. In this case /ben loDnal/ and /ben be'nal/

Hmm... do Klingons get divorced on friendly terms?  It's hard to imagine.

: seem to be sufficient.  They no longer explicitly include the concept of
: a severed connection, but in these cases it's not terribly important.

Has anyone suggested {notlh} "be obsolete" yet?  Particularly if the old spouse
has been replaced by a newer (i.e. younger) model?  <g>

In fact, this might be a case where one could colloquially use {ngo'} "be old
(not new)" WRT people instead of {qan} "be old (not young)".  After all, one's
old (former) spouse is not necessarily older in years than one's new spouse --
though IRL s/he frequently is.  <G!>

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons