tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 26 23:05:53 2000

KBLC: mu'tlheghmeyvam vImughchu''a'

> DublIj yIbej
> Watch your back!

Yes and no. This is literally correct, but "watch your back" is an idiom in
English that probably does not make any sense in Klingon. A Klingon would
likely just be confused. Something along these lines that would make sense
is <'em yIqIm> - "Pay attention to the area behind."

> yIruch nuq 'e'
> What are you doing?

This just doesn't work. Try <nuq Data'?>

> nIteb vIjatlhta' vIneHqu'
> I wanted to speak to him alone.

Very close. The object of <jatlh> (if it has one) is generally a word,
sentence, speech, language, etc. rather than the person spoken to, so you
can't really say <vIjatlh> for "I speak to him". It would have to be
<ghaHvaD jIjatlh>.

> (How would I say "personally"?)

What does "personally" mean here? It's a vague enough word that I really
don't know. If you mean "*I* speak with him (as opposed to  having someone
else do it)", I would say <ghaHvaD jIjatlh jIH>. If you mean "in person"
rather than on the telephone, then <matay'bejtaHvIS ghaHvaD jIjatlh>. If you
mean "alone", then <nIteb> is great.

> bItlhaQ yInIDbe'
> Don't try to be funny.

You're missing an <'e'>. You've got two main verbs up next to each other
without any clue as to what's connecting them. You just can't have two main
verbs in a sentence without something else connecting them. <'e'> serves as
the connection. <bItlhaQ 'e' yInIDQo'> is really two sentences: <bItlhaQ> -
"You are funny", and <'e' yInIDQo'> - "Don't try that".

Note also that <-Qo'> is used instead of <-be'> for imperative verbs.

> QaQ jaj yIghaj
> Have a nice day.
>  (Yes, I know how un-Klingon it is.)

Aye, it is un-Klingon in spirit. It's also a bit weird grammatically. First,
verbs acting as adjectives go *after* the noun, so it's <jaj QaQ>. Also,
"have" gets used for a lot of things in English, and only a subset of those
work in Klignon. I doubt you can "have" a day - nice, lousy or otherwise -
in Klingon. Instead, I suggest a nice subversive little verb - <SIQ>. jaj
QaQ yISIQ.

> yIruch. jajwIj yInaQmoH.
> Go ahead. Make my day.
>  (Much better.)

I like this one. maj.

> vIghajmeH naDev Dochvam roQ vay' 'a'
> Did someone put this here for me?

<vIghajmeH> - "in order that I have it" works here, but <jIHvaD> - "for me"
would work as well and is simpler. Also, the <-'a'> is a verb suffix. It has
to go on the verb.

> vIghaj 'a'
> Is it mine?

Once again, <-'a'> is a verb suffix, not a separate word. This also doesn't
quite work. If I'm holding a shoe, and I say <vIghaj'a'?>, the answer is
almost certainly <HISlaH>. I do have the shoe. To ask "Is this shoe my shoe"
is different: <waqwIj 'oH'a' waqvam'e'?>.

> rut HIq vIlegh 'ach not vItlhutlh
> I sometimes see liquor but I never drink it.
> ('ach bIQ vItlhutlhqangbe')

bImojchoH'a'? nuq Datlhutlh? vIychorgh Datlhutlh'a'? 'awje' Datlhutlh'a'?

> bI vangchug vaj 'uQ Daghaj
> If you act, then you have dinner.

> bIQubchugh vaj 'uQ Damoj
> If you think, then you become dinner.

I suspect you got these from TKW. They are correct, except for the typos in
<bIvangchugh>.

> monchugh 'ej ngoQ lughajbe' jawtaHvIS qoHpu' neH
> Only fools smile and talk without a goal.

You got the parts right (mostly), but didn't put them together correctly.
The two main verbs here are "smile" and "talk". <jaw> is perfect for this
sense of "talk", btw. Those two are the action of the sentence. As such they
should just be dropped into the sentence with a conjunction ('ej), and no
type 9 suffixes. The other verb - "have" - is what's going on (or rather not
going on) during the action of the sentence, so it should be the verb with
the <-vIS> suffix. I'll also suggest <Hutlh> instead of <ghajbe'>.

ngoQ luHutlhtaHvIS mon 'ej jaw qoHpu' neH.

> qorDu'lI' DaQan taHvIS bIHegh jaj
> May you die while protecting your family.

A family is not a "being capable of using language". It's made up of them,
but is not one itself, so you should use <-lIj> rather than <-lI'>. Other
than that and the spaces between verbs and verb suffixes, this is quite
good.

> joH bItoy' taHvIS bIHegh jaj
> May you die while serving the Lord.

If you're talking about the Lord, just <joH> is probably not strong enough.
Many people around here use <joH'a'> for this, and Okrand has commented that
that's a pretty good choice. You've also got a small prefix problem:
<Datoy'taHvIS>.

> batlh yIchegh
> Return with honor!

majQa'.