tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 26 21:38:23 2000

RE: obtuse question

jatlh pIl'o':

> How would one refer to an ex-husband? (other than the usual
> < "something" rur>metaphor)

> Too bad there isn't the equivalent of a +Ha' suffix for nouns.
> The +qoq noun suffix is very handy (my personal favorite) It
> is great for "dissing", casting doubt or belittling something
> or someone. But what I want is a way to express, concisely,
> <that which was, but is definately not now, nor will be
> again>. Sort of like an "anti"-rIntaH.

Others have suggested things involving <SawHa'>, which are great, although
<-ta'> would probably work better than <-pu'> on most.

I will suggest a different method. It's probably not as good for this case,
but I like it in general. When talking about my brother's wife before their
wedding, I referred to her as something like <cha'maHleS be'nalDaj> - "his
wife of twenty days from now". I think the same thing can likely work for
the past as well: <ben loDnal> - "years ago husband". Its a bit weird, but I
think it works. Others may disagree - I'd like to hear.

pagh

Back to archive top level