tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 07 22:57:45 2000

Re: KLBC: Hoch DaHjaj mu'mey vIwaHqa'qu'.

jatlh tuv'el
>> romuluSngan yer 'elmeH, chaw''e' lupoQbogh, tetlh vIgherta'.
>> "I have compiled a list of permits required to enter
>> Romulan territory."

jIjatlh
> I don't think I'd put in any commas (or spoken pauses),
> but this is good.

jatlh veS joH:
> It's been my understanding that when writing Klingon, there
> are no punctuation marks.  I realize this was meant for when
> writing in the actual tlhIngan Hol characters, however, if
> it's done that way for that, why would we use punctuation in
> romanized characters?  As my old Lt. Colonel always said in
> reference to training compared to combat, "You play how you
> fight".

We use punctuation because it's easier to read. The romanization system we
use is basically a notation system for *spoken* Klingon. We have no idea how
to write "real" Klingon, and we are not likely to ever find out. So as long
as we're using a notation system for spoken Klingon, we might as well make
it clear.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level