tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 07 11:45:53 2000

RE: KLBC: Hoch DaHjaj mu'mey vIwaHqa'qu'.

jatlh tuv'el:

>> KLBC: Hoch DaHjaj mu'mey vIwaHqa'qu'.
>> "I try out all the words of the day yet again."

maj.

>> 'aqnaw yIroQ!
>> "Put down the knife!"

maj. tlhIngan jIH much yIqel: <Hung yaSpu'>.

>> romuluSngan yer 'elmeH, chaw''e' lupoQbogh, tetlh vIgherta'.
>> "I have compiled a list of permits required to enter
>> Romulan territory."

I don't think I'd put in any commas (or spoken pauses), but this is good.

>> reH QoQ tlheghHomvetlhDaq 'egh vIchu'Ha'.
>> "I always misplay the 'egh in that passage of music."

There was a fairly long discussion about the proper word for playing a note,
and after reading it I think <much> is probably better than <chu'>, but I
have no problem with <chu'>.

>> jISawDI' ja' vavwI' <<DaHjaj puqloD vIchIlbe'pu' 'ach
>> puqbe' vISoqpu'.>>
>> "When I married, my father said, 'I have not lost a son
>> today, but gained a daughter.'"

maj.

>> tugh!  ghItroq choljaH yISo'.  ghIq Sam 'e' nIDtaHvIS wIbejlaH.
>> "Hurry!  Hide G'trok's ponytail holder.  Then we can watch
>> while he tries to find it."

ravDaq jIpum 'ej jIHagh. tlhoS quSwIj vIghor. ghu' vIleghlaHchu'. majQa'.

One grammar comment, though - you have a <-taH> after an <'e'>. Of course,
the <-taH> is required with the <-vIS>, so these two rules would seem to
imply that <-vIS> after <'e'> is illegal. I'll leave the resolution of this
up to you, but I suspect there is some sort of other rule - probably an
exception to the rule about <'e'> - that permits this.

>> not toqvIr lung tagh vISoppu'.
>> "I have never eaten Tokvarian skink lung."

Gotta love cross-language jokes. maj.

>> qa'meH 'etlh nobvaD qatlho'.
>> "I thank you for the gift of the replacement blade."

I don't think this is the best use of <-vaD>. You're not thanking me *for
the benefit of* the gift; you're thanking me because I gave it to you:

qa'meH 'etlh chonobmo' qatlho'.

>> ngugh be'pu'vaD tonSaw' ghojmoHbe'lu'.
>> "In those days, the tonsaw was not taught to women."
>>
>> (HIvqa' veqlargh!)

maj.

>> qolotlh lagh HoH qor 'ech 'e' neHmo', tlha'lI'.
>> "Brigadier Kor is chasing Ensign Koloth because he wants
>> to kill him."

<'e'> is not used before <neH>. Otherwise this is good.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level