tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 01 11:02:05 2000

Re: A challenge

charghwI':
: How would you propose to translate the following sentence?
:
: "It is not too dark for me to find the path to my home."
: Hurghmo' tlhoS juHwIj He vISamlaHbe' 'ach vISamlaHbej.

The adverbial {tlhoS} "almost, nearly, virtually, not quite" modifies {Hurgh},
not {Sam}:

  tlhoS Hurghmo' juHwIj He vISamlaHbe' ...

: If someone else has a suggestion for something less radically restated, I'm
: all ears.

Perhaps I'm being dense today, but why not avoid {tlhoS} and {-laH} entirely:

  juHwIj ghoSbogh He vISammeH Hurghqu'be'.

That is, if a stationary path can be said to "proceed, approach".  I guess
metaphorically it can, viz. SkyBox Card DS99:

  loS... qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He
   ghoSlu'bogh retlhDaq 'oHtaH.
  It waits... on the edge of the galaxy, beside a passage to unknown
   regions of the universe.

Here {'oH} refers to DS9, a (relatively) stationary space station.

Or you could just say {juHwIj He} with charghwI', though it's not quite the
same idea.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons