tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 13 10:45:39 2000

Re: Deixis and direction

jatlh Albert Arendsen:
> The most interesting verb in this sense is ofcourse /ghoS/, for you can
> go TO somewhere, and also FROM somewhere. If you use /ghoS/ with a
> direct object, it isn't obviously clear whether you're going TO or FROM
> that object, while /-vo'/ and /-Daq/ nouns would make that clear, even
> allowing you to express a motion from A to B... Personally I would say
> that /ghoS/, if used with a direct object without either /-Daq/ or
> /-vo'/ would indicate a motion TO that object, but how a Dutchman thinks
> isn't necessarily what a Klingon thinks, though some would say Dutch
> does sound like Klingon *grin*.

The general consensus, with which I agree, is that the object of /ghoS/ is
the PATH of movement.  Thus,

yuQ vIghoS

usually tends to mean "I head toward the planet," but it might also mean "I
head away from the planet."  /yuQ/ indicates something relevant to your
course.

In fact, "follow a course of" would be a good general translation of /ghoS/.

You'd have /-Daq/ or /-vo'/ on there to clarify your meaning.

SuStel
Stardate 533.2

Back to archive top level