tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 16 20:01:48 2000

RE: Deixis and direction

While what SuStel says is well stated and perfectly accurate to what I
believed to be true for years, I think it is safe to say that if there is no
{-Daq} or {-vo'} on the direct object of {ghoS}, it is typically a safe bet
that you are talking about motion toward the direct object. While
technically, it can also refer to motion away from the direct object, people
here will almost ALWAYS use {-vo'} when they want to mean "away from".
During my one HolQeD interview with Okrand, I explained to him the way we'd
been using it and asked him if that was common, reasonable usage and he
agreed. I was not trying to lead him to a conclusion. I wanted to open a
door for him to correct our usage and he didn't walk through it. It seems
that if you mean "toward", then {-Daq} is optional, but if you mean "away
from", the {-vo'} is somewhat less optional.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level