tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 12 23:26:49 2000

Re: Deixis and direction

In a message dated 7/13/2000 12:49:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< And Type 5'd nouns DO appear in the object position for some verbs: the
 verbs of motion.

===========
I expected just this type of reply when I threw in that quote from TKD.
That's okay.

So far, I cannot feel that type 5d nouns other that those employing {-'e'}
will appear in any position in a Klingon sentence other than before the basic
OVS sentence.  Again, I apologize for not knowing the source of these
feelings.  I kind of remember some discussion about a cat in a hat problem, I
discovered from the many posts that we cannot say {mIvDaq vIghro'} means
"hat's place's cat."  (Perhaps we could divide this into {mIv Daq vIghro'} so
the reader could tell the difference, but hearers would still have trouble
understanding.)

I cannot say that "redundant but not out-and-out wrong" so-called
locative/direct object predicates when there is a verb of motion will
disappear by edict from MO.  But, I think he is considering "cleaning up"
some of the earlier "mistakes."  {-Daq} will become locative only and verbs
of motion will take direct objects without employing {-Daq}.  The only "soft"
evidence I have is that more and more verbs are being confirmed as capable of
taking direct objects.

peHruS

Back to archive top level