tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 05 14:03:45 2000

Re: How to make verb into a noun?

jIjatlh:
> <snip>
> Putting a prefix on a verb with /-ghach/ is even more marked.
>
> *jIQuchtaHghach = QuchtaHghachwIj
> *bIQuchtaHghach = QuchtaHghachlIj

I-am-continued happystate
You-are-continued happystate

That's probably more or less what a Klingon would hear for the ones on the
left.

> qay'taHghachwIj   'oHtaHbe'   QuchtaHghachlIj'e'.   ( I can feel the
grammarians
> cringe at this)

Your continued happiness is not continuously my continued problem.

But the sentence is not marked.  It works.

> bIQuchchugh   jISaHbe'. (I was tempted to tack a -qu' after the -be', but
they
> are same catagory suffixes)

To make it equivalent, you'd have to say /bIQuchtaHchugh jISaHtaHbe'./  That
/-taH/ is not trivial.  It isn't just a placeholder.

SuStel
Stardate 511.6

Back to archive top level