tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 05 10:31:32 2000

RE: Raise Your betleH to the Stars.....

jatlh K'Pach:
>I notice in the subject line the word "batleH". Is
>this an error? Is it supposed to be "batlh'etlh" ?

jIjatlh:
>The word is <betleH>. There's actually a fairly detailed explanation about
>the origins of the word, including comments about <batlh'etlh>, but I don't
>have it with me. I'll look for it at home.

jatlh DujHoD:
This is from KGT (Klingon for the Galactic Traveler), page 59. In case
K'Pach doesn't have this book, I'll quote the relevant passage:
>The word {betleH} is actually an archaic form. In
>contemporary Klingon, "sword of honor" would be {batlh
>'etlh}, though this phrase is used almost exclusively as a
>translation or explanation of the older word, {betleH}.

qatlho', DujHoD. yaHwIjDaq tlhIngan Hol paqmeywIj vIqengnISqa'bej.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level