tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 05 10:48:18 2000

Re: A little expression translated. (KLBC)

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Eric Andeen wrote:

> jatlh Paul:
>
> > I was thinking about the expression 'What
> > does not kill me, makes me stronger.' and
> > thought it may be suitable for Klingons so I
> > decided to try to translate it.
>
> > My first try was {muHoSmoH muHoHbe'chugh},
> > "If it does not kill me, it makes me
> > stronger".
>
> maj.

Thanks. I'll keep this one I think.
I was thinking though, how much difference is
there between {muHoSmoH} 'cause me to be
strong' and {muHoSchoH} 'change me to be
strong' (both assuming there is more sentence
as in my different attempts in the original
post). Is it just a matter of what the type
of sentence demands or is there a qualitative
difference? How close is this to 'make me
stronger'? In particular, is there even a way
to say that I'm becomming *stronger* as
opposed to just strong?

> KLBC Dalo'mo' quSDaq bIba' :) Look in KGT at the idioms section if you don't
> understand this.

You think I marked it KLBC because it was
such a simple thing to translate, right?
Well, not for me. I'm not especially
good at tlhIngan Hol but I try to learn. I
didn't want to embarrass myself by making a
beginners misstake in an non-KLBC post. As it
turns out I didn't but I couldn't know that.

/paul

Back to archive top level