tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 10 23:36:52 2000

Re: Raise Your betleH to the Stars.....

In a message dated 7/7/2000 7:00:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< >I been following this whole discussion, and I must say that to a begginer
 >(me) the phrase <Hovmey lurgh> makes perfect sense for "to(ward) the stars".

 I believe that your "beginner's sense" is missing something.  The word
 {lurgh} just means "direction", and does not necessarily imply "to" or
 "toward".  For the spatial meanings of "to" or "toward", {-Daq} has the
 right meaning. >>

==================
While TKD 3.3.5 Syntactic markers clearly explains that ghunchu'wI' is
correct that
{-Daq} is the correct type 5 for "to, at, in, on," and the original author is
correct that two nouns may form a noun-noun compound (recently elsewhere
referred to as genitive, per sé for this topic) with noun 1 possessing noun
2, producing {Hovmey lurgh} for "stars' direction," we can add both concepts
together now to give {Hovmey lurghDaq} "to the stars' direction."  Does this
not mean "toward the stars"?

Hint:  It works for peHruS

Back to archive top level