tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 31 18:00:21 2000

Re: klingon abbreviations

ja' lay'tel SIvten:
>The more completely a text is written out, the easier it is for anyone to
>understand it.

Agreed.  However, sometimes I send things to this list without really
being concerned about how well "anyone" can read them.  For example,
it occurred to me this morning that I recently made a reference to
someone becoming a "dinosaur", but there are probably very few here
besides the person I was specifically responding to who have any idea
why I said it.

>I'm frustrated by the English abbreviations sometimes too.
>I vote no on abbreviations.
>By the way, saying someone can look in the FAQ is like telling them to go
>away and look somewhere else.

It's not telling them "go away" at all.  A FAQ list for a group such as
this is intended to help people join the shared culture without having
to spend a great deal of time coming up to speed on some of the general
assumptions.

I'll refrain from chuckling, but I *will* smile as I point out that you
used an abbreviation ("FAQ") immediately after voting against them.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level