tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 30 10:14:14 2000

Re: klingon abbreviations

> It may be fun for you, but it's enormously frustrating to me.  I saw the *lj*
> someone had used in another post, and wondered what that was supposed to be.
>[...]
> I vote no on abbreviations.
> lay'tel SIvten

jIQochbe'.  <*lj> vIlaDtaHvIS, vIyajbe'.  tup puS poH jIQub vaj jIyaj.

I second that vote.  If you can use a relative beginner's observation:
When I saw <*lj> it took me a while to figure out.  I didn't want to
ask about it because having been on the list for a short time, I
didn't know if it was accepted usage, though it was the first time
I saw it.  I am glad that it isn't a convention (yet).  I think it
might be enough to discourage a beginner to see "words" they can't
find in the dictionary and word lists.

[OTOH, if you do use abbrevs. could you make them stand out, such as
use all caps <wa', cha', wej, LJ> or putting in periods <loS, vagh,
jav, l.j.>?  Makes it more obvious it's not a typo.]

--
De'vID

Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
Now featuring the Star Trek Store and
the official site for Star Trek: Insurrection.

Back to archive top level