tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 31 17:57:04 2000

Re: *Egypt*ngan Hol vIDelqa'

ja' SuStel:
>We should not encourage the perpetuation of "abbreviations."  We are not
>abbreviating written Klingon, we are abbreviating an English transcription
>system of spoken Klingon.

We're also using a medium which does not carry any vocal inflection or body
language.  For dull prose, or even vivid poetry, that might suffice.  But
for friendly conversation and spontaneous exclamations of disgust or
delight, it certainly leaves much to be desired.

Smileys and net.abbreviations exist because they add information to the
message without unduly burdening the author with time-consuming
explanations of his intent.  Like all abbreviations, they do require some
shared context.  Just as I wouldn't end an email to my new-to-the-internet
grandmother with the letters YMMV, I won't use "unsanctioned" abbreviations
in my writings to the general readership here or elsewhere.

>I think Klingons would NOT recognize any of these abbreviations.

Since I don't expect any Klingons to be reading what I write, I'm not going
to worry too hard about their inability to recognize them. :)

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level