tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 31 17:55:25 2000

Re: KliFlash [Was: Re: tlhIngan Hol pojwI' 2.0]

I'd like to add my voice to that of the stodgy traditionalists. :-)

ja' SuStel:
>ret yaH lon.
>Some unspecified time period ago, he abandoned his post.
>
>ben law' yaH lon.
>A few years ago, he abandoned his post.
>
>My impression is that the first sentence is unacceptable to the experts on
>the list, while the second is all right.  I fail to understand why.

The difference is in the "unqualified" nature of {ret} and {pIq}.

>The sentence which occurs is {yaH lon} "He abandons his post."  In the
>apparently acceptable one, a "timestamp" is added: {ben law'}.  As Marc
>Okrand explains, the time at which the action occurs (which typically is
>expressed with a noun, though there are exceptions) is added to the
>beginning of a sentence (just like any noun which isn't subject or object).
>
>So why is {ben law'} superior to {ret}?  They're both pretty vague.  You at
>least know the order of magnitude you're talking about with {ben law'}, but
>nothing else.  Would {ben yaH lon} be acceptable?  "Years ago he abandoned
>his post"?

The first sentence is so vague as to be essentially meaningless.  I
see it as referring to "some unspecified number of unspecified time
periods ago".  A naked {ret} is as unpalatable to me as the English
word "ago" without further qualification, and I consider it just as
ungrammatical.

I also don't much care for the second sentence (even if you fix the
{law'} "few" mismatch one way or the other), but I do accept it for
what it is -- a vague quantification of a known time period.  As for
{ben yaH lon}, it's probably grammatically correct, but that doesn't
automatically mean it's "acceptable".

>I believe it is the bias of the list which has made this declaration.  Years
>of familiarity with {ben}, {Hu'}, {nem}, and {leS} have made certain
>"accepted" phrases come into common parlance.  Then something else like
>these new words comes along, and if they don't match the familiar pattern,
>they're not accepted.

These new words *absolutely* do not match the familiar pattern.  They
have only been explained in terms of accompanying a definition of the
period of time with which they are used: "These words follow the more
specific time units." (Okrand, HolQeD v8n3, p3)

>{ben law'} is not any better than {ben}.

It's probably no more grammatically correct, but it's certainly "better"
semantically.  It at least *tries* to quantify the number of years.

>And if {ben} is acceptable, then so must {ret} be.

Here I must disagree.  Even if leaving the number of time periods out
is acceptable, {ret} and {pIq} are described in a way that does not make
it obvious that they "must" be grammatical when used alone.

>And so on.  {ret yaH lon} is a perfectly acceptable, if
>vague, sentence.  Sticking {ret} or {pIq} in front of a sentence is
>equivalent to saying "in the past" or "in the future," respectively.  The
>original poster was not creating new grammar at all, but using a logical
>extension of an already accepted grammar.

I think the "logical extension" fails because of the unproven assumption
that {ben} and {ret} behave similarly.

>Note that this is NOT grammatical
>tense.  Grammatical tense would incorporate tense into the grammar--hence
>the name.  This is the same form of time labeling as any other time noun.
>
>That said, it's always preferable to state the time context of a sentence
>precisely.

On that point, at least, you will find little dissent.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level