tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 30 11:51:08 2000

Re: klingon abbreviations

In a message dated 1/30/00 12:14:05 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> > I vote no on abbreviations.
>  > lay'tel SIvten
>
>  jIQochbe'.  <*lj> vIlaDtaHvIS, vIyajbe'.  tup puS poH jIQub vaj jIyaj.
>
>  I second that vote.  If you can use a relative beginner's observation:
>  When I saw <*lj> it took me a while to figure out.  I didn't want to
>  ask about it because having been on the list for a short time, I
>  didn't know if it was accepted usage, though it was the first time
>  I saw it.  I am glad that it isn't a convention (yet).  I think it
>  might be enough to discourage a beginner to see "words" they can't
>  find in the dictionary and word lists.

I wrote the {lj}.  All I can say is, that piece wasn't written with beginners
in mind.  The text was fairly complex, and it didn't include an SKI.  The
{lj} was a sort of joke for mature readers.  I didn't mean to be proposing
a new "word". Sorry if you didn't get the joke, but not everything on this
list is intended for everyone.

-- ter'eS

http://www.geocities.com/teresh_2000
http://www.geocities.com/weseb_2000