tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 18 18:49:25 2000

RE: KLBC cheng Sa' may' bom

jatlh J:

> cheng Sa' may' bom
> General Chang's War Song

maj.

> humor raises it's ugly head again -

> <tlh w D yIvbeH> ghe'naQ
> *IKV Sleeveless Shirt* opera

groan.

> Sa': tlhIngan Sa'na' jIH
> I am most certainly a Klingon General

net Sov.

> tlhIngan voDleHpu' vISov 'ej qun may'mey Saja'
> I know the Klingon Emperors, and history's battles I tell you.

maj.

OK - I just realized where this is going. I am now officially frightened. My
wife suggested I translate "Modern Major General" and sing it at the qep'a'
Cabaret. If I ever succeed, it will be very scary.

> DoQmeH tayqeqmey chu' vInej
> in order to claim territory new civilizations I search for

While it is sometimes OK to leave the verb prefix off with <-meH>, I think
it is probably necessary here, so you should say <jIDoQmeH>. ter'eS wrote a
very nice article on this sort of thing for HolQeD. Perhaps we should add a
summary to the FAQ.

This is otherwise good.

> matHa'wI' yawI' je muyajchu' chaH
> my gunner and my tactical officer they understand me perfectly

maj.

> Hoch moch yaSpu'wI'  vIHoH rIntaH
> all my superior officers I have killed
> [assassinated on the way to the top]
> superior = verb nIv or noun moch?

Definitely the noun <moch>. It's actually sufficient all by itself; you
don't need the <yaS> after it.

> Duj vIvoqtaH
> instinct I always trust it

> Batlh muqawlu'tah jIH
> I will be remembered with honor.

Watch the capitalization. <jIH> is the object of the verb <qaw>, so it has
to go before the verb, even with the goofiness of the <-lu'> suffix. It
could also be eliminated entirely if you want. The thing the <-lu'> suffix
does change is the verb prefix - it gets turned around. Instead of <mu->, it
should be <vI->.

batlh jIH vIqawlu'taH.

> De' Ha'DIbah naH tlhIl joq vISovbe' jIH
> or
> Ha'DIbah naH tlhIl  De' joq vISovbe' jIH
> or
> Ha'DIbah naH tlhIl joq De' vISovbe' jIH
>
> information animal vegetable or mineral I don't know

The third one.

> tlhIngan Sa'vaD lI'be De'vam
> this information is not useful for a Klingon General

Typo: <lI'be'>.

An amusing battle song. Very nice.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian